WHAT IS IDENTITY THEFT?
The best way to detect identity theft is to have a two prong approach:shield
#1. monitor your accounts and bank statements each month, and check your credit report on a regular basis. We highly recommend MyCreditKeeper.com for accomplishing this step. (We don’t get paid by MCK but we should. All our customers use their service. It’s that good.)
#2. Use a fraud protection service like Pre-Paid Legal. Pre-paid legal uses strict physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard the confidentiality and security of the personal Information and is, in our professinal opinion, the best identity theft protection service available anywhere.
What are the signs of identity theft?
Stay alert for the signs of identity theft, like:
- accounts you didn’t open and debts on your accounts that you can’t explain.
- fraudulent or inaccurate information on your credit reports, including accounts and personal information, like your Social Security number, address(es), name or initials, and employers.
- failing to receive bills or other mail. Follow up with creditors if your bills don’t arrive on time. A missing bill could mean an identity thief has taken over your account and changed your billing address to cover his tracks.
- receiving credit cards that you didn’t apply for.
- being denied credit, or being offered less favorable credit terms, like a high interest rate, for no apparent reason.
- getting calls or letters from debt collectors or businesses about merchandise or services you didn’t buy.